Cats and flowers What every cat owner needs to know

Do you own a cat? Did you know that if you have the wrong flowers on your table or plants in your garden that your cat could accidentally die as a result? The good news is only some varieties are bad for cats. While there is no need to panic about flowers around your cat, you will need to be aware so that you can make informed decisions in your home and garden.


(If you own a dog, you may also be interested in reading our blog about dogs & flowers.)

First off, let me start by saying this list is not definitive. It's compiled using research we have discovered scouring the internet. Whilst we are happy to help, ultimately it's your responsibility on what flowers you allow into your living area.

Owning a cat is beneficial for your overall wellbeing as it has been documented that the companionship of an animal can lower our stress levels. Cats in particular are great at decreasing our anxiety as they are a lot more self-sufficient than their canine cousins. Nothing quite beats patting a kitty when it comes to being in a calm state.

We need to take care of our furry friends! 

Did you know that there are a lot of common plants and flowers that have the potential to be poisonous to your cat? Even though some types may cause comparatively modest responses, many plants may lead to death if our cat ingests a substantial amount. 

Below are some of the blossoms we discovered are poisonous to cats:

Autumn Crocus – normally sold as a plant in a pot


There are just two Crocus plants: one which flowers in the spring (Crocus species) and also the additional from the fall Colchicum autumnale. The spring crops are more typical and are a part of the Iridaceae family. All these intakes may cause overall gastrointestinal upset including nausea and diarrhoea.

Azalea – normally sold as a plant in a pot


In the same family as rhododendrons, azaleas could have serious impacts on pets. Eating a few leaves can lead to vomiting, nausea, and excessive drooling; with no prompt veterinary care, your pet may collapse into a coma.

Cyclamen – a potted plant


This seasonal flowering plant is especially dangerous for pets. Ingestion again leads to severe nausea and also possibly death.

Kalanchoe – Normally sold as a plant, some cut flowers are being used


This hot flowering succulent plant could lead to nausea, diarrhoea, and heart arrhythmia when ingested by any pet, not just cats.

Lilys – Largely used in flower bouquets


You'll find benign and also dangerous lilies on the market so it's important to know the difference. Peace, Peruvian, also Calla lilies contain oxalate crystals which cause modest discomfort, for example tissue irritation to the mouth area, pharynx, and stomach; that ends in minor drooling. The dangerous, possibly deadly lilies are the Asiatic varieties and those comprise Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese show lilies - every one which is toxic for cats! Even a tiny ingestion could lead to acute kidney failure. It’s a safer bet to avoid Lily's all together.


Oleander is a shrub, popular because of its evergreen features and delicate beautiful flowers. Nevertheless, the leaves and blossoms are extremely poisonous if ingested and will cause acute nausea and will slow down the heartbeat.

Daffodils – Narcissus Family, sold as cut flowers and plants


These blossoms comprise lycorine, an alkaloid with powerful emetic properties that causes nausea. Ingestion of this bulb, blossom or plant can cause severe vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, and also even potential cardiac arrhythmia or respiratory melancholy. Daffodil ingestion can result in much more severe symptoms for exposure. If ingested you should get your cat immediate veterinarian assistance.

Lily of the Valley – Sold as a cut flower, only flowers in Australia in October/November


The Convallaria Majalis plant comprises cardiac glycosides that can trigger symptoms same as those of a fox-glove intake. These signs include nausea, diarrhoea, and also a drop in heart rate, acute cardiac arrhythmia, and possibly nausea. Pets with almost vulnerability for this particular plant ought to be analysed and assessed by a vet and treated symptomatically.

Tulips and Hyacinths – Mainly sold as cut flowers and also potted plant gifts


Tulips contain allergenic lactones while hyacinths feature similar alkaloids. The poison of those plants is extremely concentrated in the bulbs. Make sure that your cat is not digging the bulbs from the backyard. Normal signs include drooling, vomiting and sometimes maybe diarrhoea, based on the total consumed.

Many flowers are irritants; many outward symptoms found are caused by aggravation or inflammation, such as swelling or itchiness of the eyes, mouth or skin area.

When larger portions of the gastrointestinal tract, such as the gut and intestines become bloated, throwing up and nausea are possible to happen.

If the toxins of a flower affect their organs the following signs will normally present:

    • Interrupts breathing (airways)

    • Drooling or problem swallowing (mouth, oesophagus or throat)

    • Throwing up (stomach or small intestines)

    • Diarrhoea (small intestines and colon)

    • Excessive urinating and drinking (kidneys)

    • Fast, slow or irregular pulse and fatigue (heart)

The overall solution is simple. Be aware and vigilant, not stressed or anxious. 

Flowers, just like your cat, are good for your mental health and wellbeing. It’s just important that you are aware of what you can and shouldn’t bring into your home environment.

To take care of your fur babies just exercise some caution and informed decision making when it comes to flowers and also plants for your garden. If you have any doubts about what state of health your cat is in,  go and seek veterinarian help. Don’t risk it.